By: William Bauder, CPA, CITP, CGMA- Manager of Assurance and Advisory Services
I was recently elected to the board of the Greater Powell Area Chamber of Commerce. I join the ranks of other H&M team members who currently do, or have in the past, sat on chamber boards. As a firm, we strongly believe in supporting the communities where our offices are located and those that our team members call home. I have been active with the Greater Powell Area Chamber of Commerce for some time now, and I am excited to take my commitment to them and their member businesses to the next level.
My recent election got me thinking about some of the reasons why any professional should consider volunteering for a chamber board, or a board of any non-profit organization for that matter. The reasons to be a board member are many and vary from person to person. For me, the following elements drive my board involvement:
· Being a board member allows me to give back to the community. Again, our firm stands strong in our commitment to giving back and personally, it is very important to me as well.
· Becoming a board member allows me an opportunity to exercise my leadership skills. Keep this key component in mind when you consider joining a board. Having a seat at the table allows you to share your experiences and professional insight.
· Being on the board allows me to network on a frequent basis with other professionals. Networking isn’t just about sharing referrals and leads. It is about getting to know others both in my field and in other fields. Those relationships help to mold me as a person and as a professional.
· My board commitment ensures that I am being kept up-to-date on happenings around the community. The more I know about what is taking place, the more I can be present and helpful as a board member.
· The exercise of interacting with others from different professional and civic backgrounds is invaluable and rewarding. Being a board member allows you to stop, look around, and appreciate and learn from those you sit at the table with.
I look forward to my time as a board member and would encourage anyone else to be of service in the same capacity if it is appealing to them. Giving back and growing on a professional and personal level… it doesn’t get much better than that.
If you are looking to join a board, feel free to reach out and we can point you to various resources available or connect you with others in our network who are currently looking for great volunteers.