Reporting a Name Change: It Matters for Tax Purposes

Many  life events can prompt a name changes- a marriage, divorce, etc. It is important to report your name change to the Social Security Adminstation in a timely manner. The name that appears on your tax return must match the name that the Social Security Administration has on file for you.

Reporting a name chance for dependents is vital as well. If you have adopted a child or your child’s last name has changed for any reason, you will want to notify the Social Security Administration.

Reporting a name change involves completing a File Form SS-5, which is an application for a new Social Security Card that will reflect your new name. You can obtain this form at

Please contact Holbrook & Manter today with any concerns or question you may have. We would be happy to help.